Swagger

Swagger
Haunted

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Feels a lot like flying...

    I was just recently traveling back to Jacksonville, North Carolina from seeing my sister and her husband in Columbus, Ohio over Christmas break. I had just boarded my second flight after a brief layover in Washington D.C. and the plane was just starting to speed down the runway for takeoff. I happened to glance at the girl sitting next to me and she was beaming with pleasure. I mean, her face was lighting up like she was a kid in a candy store or my dad at home depot. I watched her as we took off and began to ascend into the sky. After a minute I got her attention and asked what it was she was so elated about. She gave me a look like she thought I should be wearing a straight jacket. Then she said "I love flying." "Its okay I guess." I said back. I explained that I fly all the time, back and forth to Colorado, Ohio, and North Carolina because of my job and when i get time to see my family I take advantage of it. Then she said something simple, yet extraordinary. She said, "You're jaded from traveling all the time. Think about it. You're FLYING." Wow. I had NO response forthcoming.
    Life's little reminders like that always come at the most unexpected times and I think that a majority of the time we miss them because we are just too distracted or stressed or busy, or whatever excuse we might have at the time for not paying attention to the details. If we quieted our hearts and minds once in awhile, THINK of how many more times we would see past the daily grind, past the extremely irritating individual that you just want to stab in the jugular vein every time they open their mouth, and past how much you feel like your life is falling apart around you.
    I bring to mind the quote which has inspired the name for my blog,
"There’s a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I’ve always been a fool."  as stated by actor Albert Finney in character as Ed Bloom in the film Big Fish. 
   Take a minute and pay attention to the details. Live out loud. I promise you will feel like you're flying.
    

3 comments:

  1. love this post. i always look for the extraordinary in the ordinary. it's always there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, you are a fine writer. Don't feel bad if people don't post anything. It doesn't mean they aren't reading it. Busy, busy. People are busy.
    The important thing here is that YOU feel like you are flying because YOU are paying attention to the details. And be encouraged that you are being an ENCOURAGER to others to LIVE OUT LOUD.

    Anyway, your blog is super and I think you are going to be fun to follow on it. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete